installed a little kde, it switched to it on the reboot, and most stuff is missing, no access to a shell of any kind

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Mon Dec 14 17:26:27 UTC 2009

On 15/12/09 00:34, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I have now learned enough about grub2 to be able to compose a menuentry
> stanza and make it work.  And, right now I'm 'discussing' grub2 with
>
> Felix Zielcke<fzielcke at z-51.de>

Yes, he has addressed some of the earlier bugs on grub2, like
'no-floppy' and  UUID not updating. Good that he's in contact with you.

> one of its maintainers, because the version with the mint8 install is the
> only one that does it right, and even it has a few mistakes.  After the first
> mandriva entry is correct, it then inserts a bogus (hd0,1) entry in the path
> to the initrd file on the subsequent 'rescue' entries it generates.  But that
> is getting a heck of a lot closer than either the gnu.org tarball, or the
> fedora grub2 rpm can do.
>
> Politics and vendor lockin, ain't it great, NOT.
>
> In the meantime, I think I'll nuke the Mint version of the grub-mkconfig when
> I get it running again to protect my hand edits.

But you're still using the F10 grub set to sda, right? Shouldn't that be
the one that get nuked? I've got a separate partition on grub2 set to
sda. No OS can nuke this.

I'll briefly mention how it could be done in case you may want to do the
same.

Create a partition (ext2 is okay) of 100 to 150 Mb. (I label this Bolt)
At Karmic terminal
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/Bolt /dev/sda

customize a grub.cfg file and move to /media/Bolt/boot/grub/

done.

Regards,
Goh Lip