installed a little kde, it switched to it on the reboot, and most stuff is missing, no access to a shell of any kind

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 14 16:34:13 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009, Goh Lip wrote:
>On 12/14/2009 03:10 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Just for grins, attached here is the grub.cfg from the Mint 8 install.
>> This one gets it right, so I know it can be done.  Then I'll attach the
>> output of grub-mkconfig which is the output of the gnu.org version.  No
>> won't, its 20k of trash cuz everything is called GNU/Linux, with kernel
>> so and so.  RMS can take his fscking politics and shove it.
>
>Gene, not sure how this might help you but remember the grub2.iso I sent
>you? One of the following 2 entries should be able to boot into any
>partition.
>
>Entry 1
>
>sh:grub>configfile (hdx,y)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>

>Entry 2
>
>sh:grub>set root=(hdx,y)
>sh:grub>chainloader +1
>sh:grub>boot
>

>Entry1 for grub2, entry2 into grub-legacy and windows and will boot into
>the boot meny of that partition.
>Remember (hd0,5) is sda5
>          (hd1,1) is sdb1   etc
>
>If in doubt, do a
>sh:grub>search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>

>that is, if your Fedora and Mint grub.cfg is placed in /boot/grub/
>otherwise amend accordingly.
>
>Like, I said, not sure if this helps, but if it don't, just put it aside.
>
>Regards,
>Goh Lip

I have now learned enough about grub2 to be able to compose a menuentry
stanza and make it work.  And, right now I'm 'discussing' grub2 with

Felix Zielcke <fzielcke at z-51.de>

one of its maintainers, because the version with the mint8 install is the
only one that does it right, and even it has a few mistakes.  After the first
mandriva entry is correct, it then inserts a bogus (hd0,1) entry in the path
to the initrd file on the subsequent 'rescue' entries it generates.  But that
is getting a heck of a lot closer than either the gnu.org tarball, or the
fedora grub2 rpm can do.

Politics and vendor lockin, ain't it great, NOT.

In the meantime, I think I'll nuke the Mint version of the grub-mkconfig when
I get it running again to protect my hand edits.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)