grub2 = beta?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 01:45:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 00:23 -0800, Knapp wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Alvin <info at alvin.be> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 December 2009 21:18:29 Jerry Lapham wrote:
> >> Just got a grub2 update for karmic which seems to indicate it's a beta.  Is
> >> it?  If so, why did Kubuntu 9.10 make it the default?
> >
> > - yes, it is beta. It's not only the default in kubuntu, but in ubuntu-server
> > as well!
> > - Honestly, I have no idea. I have never experienced more boot issues in 7
> > years of Linux.
> >
> > I like the fact that the GNU people are giving us a better boot loader, but I
> > don't mind waiting for more stability.
> > In this case (Ubuntu), it was pure hubris to change the boot loader to a beta
> > version AND pushed upstart at the same time.
>
> Kubuntu and it would seem Ubuntu have made this mistake over and over
> again. We now have a bunch of software that has been shoved down our
> mouths that is beta or beta quality. We have Dolphine, KDE4.0, GRUB2,
> PulseAudio, the networking stuff. When are they going to learn that
> this distro is for newbies and for pros that want it to just work. We
> are not beta testers.

That's why I bailed out of Fedora, over the very same issues. Of course
they state quite openly that Fedora is a beta test bed and nothing much
else. Alas poor Hardy, I remember you being stable as a rock and quite
impressed with the entire (k)Ubuntu experience. Alas... Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987