K menu hotkey

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:05:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have on my laptop (as many of you may be too) a key with the MSWindows icon
> on it (between the Fn and Alt keys).  How can I make it opening the K menu
> (Kick off application launcher)?  Thanks.

I use use xmodmap to change the code generated by that key.  Then you
can use the setting "configure shortcut" system to make the key do
whatever you want.

Using xev I found that my windows key generates scancode 133, so I
created a script called custom.sh:
  #!/usr/bin/env bash
  xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = F13"

I put custom.sh in ~/.kde/Autostart and made it executable, so every
time kde starts it runs the script.

So now my windows key is F13, and I can bind F13 to any other key I want.

Of course, you can do this with any other useless key on your
keyboard, like the other two windows keys.

Michael