Phones that work as dialup modems with Linux

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Dec 5 04:41:27 UTC 2009

Murray Colpman wrote:
> I don't know the exact speeds, but in order from worst to best, it goes:
>
> Dialup (almost never used nowadays - pay per unit time, not per unit data)

In Hong Kong, dial-up is pretty much unlimited (as is broadband - we
don't stupid lobbies over here) but you pay less if you don't use as
much time as the maximum price cap (you are charged up to 12USD and any
time over that is free)

> GPRS (2G, some phones call it 2.5G if it is slightly faster GPRS)

GPRS is not that faster than dial-up and in fact, it is frequently
SLOWER than dial-up. With GPRS, you get the leftover bandwidth and so if
the area you are in is busy...it will be way slower than dial-up. With
dial-up and a 'clean' line, you get 56kbits but with GPRS, you rarely
get that 64kbits theoretical maximum. 9kbits or 14.4kbits is the norm. I
was a user of a unlimited GPRS data service so I know.

> EDGE (2.5G)
>
> 3G
>
> HSDPA (3.5G)
>
> HSDPA/HSUPA (3.5G)

These must be what the 7mbit connections use.