FLAC files on Amarok (Georgi Kourtev)

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Wed Dec 2 17:20:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 17:09, Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 December 2009 18:02:20 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> Hi Georgi,
>
>> Most strange, you have everything needed to play FLAC files, but those
>> don't play, I really don't understand and I have no explanation at
>> all.  I asked several people around me, no one has those problems.
>>
>> You can try forcing a reinstall of the phonon-backend-xine and
>> libxine1 (sudo apt-get install --reinstall phonon-backend-xine
>> libxine1). That's pretty much the only thing I can suggest now, maybe
>> this helps.
>>

>> Regards, Myriam.
>>

> The only thing that I didn't have installed is the kubuntu-restricted-extras,
> which I installed some 10 minutes ago.  It removed two packages (libavcodec-
> extra-52 and libavcodec-unstripped-52). Still cannot play flac in Amarok.
>
> What is strange for me is that other players I have installed (Kaffeine,
> KMplayer, GNOME Mplayer) do play flac files. Could it be something with Amarok?
> I looked at the settings there but didn't find anything meaningful to the
> topic.

No, that is highly unlikely, since Amarok doesn't handle sound
directly, it lets Phonon do that. I have not seen such a behavior
before anywhere, yours is truly unique.

Please try if you can play any of those files with Dragonplayer, it
uses Phonon exactly as Amarok does. This could help excluding a phonon
problem. But still, I haven't seen that in any of the bug reports
against Phonon neither.

If it doesn't play with Dragonplayer, then maybe there is a problem with xine.

I presume you have a normal Kubuntu installation (no pulseaudio, of
course) and that you didn't change any of the default settings. Since
FLAC support is installed by default in Kubuntu, there is really no
reason why you wouldn't be able to play those.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org