ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 10:13:32 UTC 2009

2009/12/2 Charles T. Bell <cbell44 at cfl.rr.com>:
> On 12/02/2009 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
>
> You are quite right about this. DNS resolution happens before
>
> pinging.
>

> No, only if you are using a URL.  If you use an IP address
> the ping will go through just fine without a DN Server.
> The Server only translates the URL into an IP address and
> your browser uses that transparently to connect with
> the site.  You never know that that is what is happening
> behind the scenes.
> Now let us wait for Lisi's results from the routers and computers
> she is trying.

I first edited /etc/network/interfaces and disabled Network Manager.
No joy.  So I commenterd out all my changes and started playing
musical chairs with the routers and computers.  The results follow:

Desktop - Kubuntu Karmic - the problem machine - won't connect properly.
Laptop - Ubuntu Jaunty - connects immediately.

Laptop - dualboot Debian Lenny and Linpus -
Debian Lenny fails to connect properly
Linpus connects immediately.

results of dhclient:

paul at Paul:~$ dhclient
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.2
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

can't create /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases: Permission denied
SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
Open a socket for LPF: Operation not permitted
paul at Paul:~$

Then type this: I am a very slow typist. :-(

Lisi