ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Wed Dec 2 09:35:26 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009, Charles T. Bell wrote:
> On 12/02/2009 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > You are quite right about this. DNS resolution happens before
> >
> > pinging.
>
> No, only if you are using a URL.  If you use an IP address

... no DNS resolution happens at all since "DNS resolution" means
mapping a name to an IP. Since Lisi *was* using DNS and not IPs,
you're kind of missing the point. (The rest of the quote suggests you
know all this - I'm not sure why I have to point this out again.)

Unless you'd like to point me to some part you snipped and I'm
forgetting about...

(BTW, Lisi wrote that the DNS resolution part was successful,
suggesting no problem with DHCP or communicating with the DNS server.
Lisi also wrote, that the problem was specific to one router/network,
suggesting that the problem might not even be with Ubuntu...)

> the ping will go through just fine without a DN Server.
> The Server only translates the URL into an IP address and
> your browser uses that transparently to connect with
> the site.  You never know that that is what is happening
> behind the scenes.
> Now let us wait for Lisi's results from the routers and computers
> she is trying.

Yes, that's kind of what I was doing... :-S

  --Reinhold
PS: I'm getting that nagging feeling that some sort of
miscommunication is happening - I'm sorry if I'm the cause and would
appreciate it if someone would point out what I'm missing here...