ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Wed Dec 2 05:38:02 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 22:32:36 Charles T. Bell wrote:
> > Lisi wrote:
> > > Can I just uninstall Network Manager (Network Mangler???) and
> > > create an /etc/network/interfaces file?
>
> Do I take it that the answer to this is no?

No. ;-)
Or rather, you can't "just uninstall" NM, but you can use
/etc/network/interfaces to override it. NM won't pick up devices
listed there.
I'm not sure if this still works, but it used to be possible to
create /etc/default/NetworkManager and
/etc/default/NetworkManagerDispatcher containing simply "exit 0".
This would disable NM completely.

> > > It isn't that it isn't connecting at all, it not connecting
> > > properly.
> > >
> > > Ping works - by IP and by URL.  (Once I have persuaded network
> > > manager to start the connection. :-(  )
> > >
> > > IP address in browser works (after a fashion) for some sites
> > > but not for others.
> > >
> > > URL in browser is completely non-functional.
> > >
> > > LinuxMint on this exact set-up was a disaster - but at least
> > > it connected properly by DHCP.
> > >
> > > All help most gratefully received!!  (Honestly, Myriam - I
> > > really am grateful - just very pushed for time on this
> > > particular job.) Lisi
> >
> > Okay,...
> > Did you try running "dhclient" in a terminal?
>
> No - I had thought that since I could ping by URL DNS must be
>  fine.

You are quite right about this. DNS resolution happens before
pinging.

BTW, I don't know what could be going wrong with your setup. It
sounds like you can't connect using port 80 for some reason. Is your
firewall configured properly (if you have one)? Are you using a
proxy?
You could try using telnet to connect to an internet server on
several ports. You should also try the same in your intranet, if that
is possible.

  --Reinhold