ethernet connections in Karmic - how do I tame network manager?

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 05:14:31 UTC 2009

Thank you for the response.

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 22:32:36 Charles T. Bell wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > Can I just uninstall Network Manager (Network Mangler???) and create
> > an /etc/network/interfaces file?

Do I take it that the answer to this is no?

> > It isn't that it isn't connecting at all, it not connecting properly.
> >
> > Ping works - by IP and by URL.  (Once I have persuaded network manager to
> > start the connection. :-(  )
> >
> > IP address in browser works (after a fashion) for some sites but not for
> > others.
> >
> > URL in browser is completely non-functional.
> >
> > LinuxMint on this exact set-up was a disaster - but at least it connected
> > properly by DHCP.
> >
> > All help most gratefully received!!  (Honestly, Myriam - I really am
> > grateful - just very pushed for time on this particular job.)
> > Lisi
>
> Okay,...
> Did you try running "dhclient" in a terminal?

No - I had thought that since I could ping by URL DNS must be fine.

> Did you ping your router if you are connected to one?

Yes.

> If so, forget the question.
> From the above I can tell you pinged a site(s) online.
> Compare the response times to your router response time
> if you have one.  Else, forget the suggestion.

I did - but I am not knowledgable enough to have been able to interpret the
results.

> Is Network Manager  set to automatically connect?

I keep setting it to do so (and clicking apply) - but it seems to loose all
settings when the computer is restarted.

> The URL being non-functional suggests no DN Server, thus
> the question about running "dhclient".

But this same box with the same software ran fine on my own router.  It is now
that it has been moved to its owners router that the trouble has started.
And the router works fine with other computers.  This seemed to me to mean
that neither the router nor the computer has a firewall that is blocking
access.

> After your response to this, we can go further to find
> the trouble.
> (Keep in mind that for some reason 'ping' will work when
> all else fails, even sometimes when a firewall is set to block
> all connections to the internet. This is the way it was
> designed to work.  When I was still working for a telecommunitions
> company they once set the intranet so we could not get certain
> connections.  I 'pinged' the URL and got the IP address and used
> it in Internet Explorer to go to that site anyway.  They
> eventually blocked the IPs as well.  Google was one.)

Thanks
Lisi