sane

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 14 21:41:19 UTC 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 06:24:25 pm Donn wrote:
> On Friday 14 August 2009 00:10:15 Steven Vollom wrote:
> > And still I have been unable to change.
>
> Really, how hard can it be to get a little A5 notebook and write things in
> it? I am *begging* you to start a 'computer diary' -- don't rely on the
> email threads because you have demonstrated that you keep losing the plot.
>
> Have a few pages for apt/aptitude stuff : record the correct commands in
> the book. Then, look them up. It really saves wear on the brain.
>
> \d
One of the reasons I started using a computer is because I am unable to do
what you recommend.  I have half dozen notebooks filled with computer info.
But I have to read them all just to find one answer.  Usually 2 or 3 of them
are not where I can find them.  I have very little long term memory, other than
really important stuff.  When I set a notebook down, it usually becomes lost
almost immediately.

Many times I will find an old notebook that has instructions in it on a topic I
have committed to memory and no longer need the notes.  If you are anything
like all my other friends, you don't believe my situation.  You think I am
lazy or irresponsible or something like that, and I can not convince you
otherwise.  Some of the simplest things people do, I am unable to do.  But
some of the most difficult things people must do, I can do without giving the
task a thought.  Few left brained people will ever accept the fact that right
brained people can not assimilate information the same as they do.
Frustration is about the only thing it produces.  That is the reason I make
myself out as stupid.  People are kinder to stupid people than they are to
right-brained people.  There are things that are so simple for me to do that I
cannot understand what is so difficult about the task for normal or left brained
people who occasionally use the right hemisphere.  Sometimes I can see that
they are overwhelmed, because they thought I was a 10 watt bulb.  But any
computer related explanation provided me by a right brained person who has
fought to understand the problem, can explain it to me in a few words, and I
have 100% understanding.

Everyone I get close to eventually understands.  It is the old square peg in
the round hole thing.  Thank you for trying to help, I understand the
instruction very well.  But it is like making me take on a task that I have
absolutely no chance to succeed with; I will only practice failure.  Not a fun
thing.  I AM NOT RESISTING YOU, I AM UNABLE TO DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST.

Emphasis not yelling.

Steven