Kernel panic after upgrade

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 12 14:48:35 UTC 2009

Mark Halegua wrote:

> And I tried to boot with the previous kernel.  It won't boot, probably
> because xorg.conf was modified for 9.04 and the previous video driver was
> changed to something generic.  It did inform me it didn't have a lglfx
> version for 9.04.
>
> Mark

Boot to your previous kernel in recovery mode.  You don't need X.  Run:

# sudo update-initramfs -k CURRENT-KERNEL

It can't hurt, and works for me.  This has happened to me 4 times so far.
The problem is not that it can't find the root partition (or at least, not
only - I can modify that in grub and get a slightly different error).  It
doesn't find the filesystem drivers.  I'm betting your root FS is not
ext2/3.

Damn.  I see Nils has suggested essentially this, and hasn't even had to fix
the problem himself!  Good call Nils.  I would suggest not using the "-k
all" option, though, because you don't want to risk breaking the kernel you
_have_ managed to boot from.
--
derek