Kernel panic after upgrade

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Aug 12 08:20:54 UTC 2009

Mark Halegua wrote:
> Is there  wayfor me to manually copy an appropriate initrd to the
> /boot directory?  I know I can edit the menu.lst to include it.

AFAIK the initrd file is generated during the installation of the kernel
image package with the modules needed by your system. Therefore I don't
think you can use the initrd file from another system unless it has
similar hardware.

> And I tried to boot with the previous kernel.  It won't boot,
> probably because xorg.conf was modified for 9.04 and the previous
> video driver was changed to something generic.  It did inform me it
> didn't have a lglfx version for 9.04.

I'm not familiar with lglfx but I would expect it not to be needed for a
text login. Therefore you could use the recovery mode of the previous
kernel. Use the option with a name like "root shell" and then try to
generate the initrd file for the current kernel with this command:

update-initramfs -k all -c

It should make initrd files for all installed kernels. If you know the
correct version of the 9.04 kernel you could replace the "all" in the
command with the version to generate only that single initrd file. Then
you should run the command

update-grub

to update the menu.lst file with the new information of the initrd file.

Nils