** RESOLVED ** Re: 3rd Party Applications

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Wed Aug 5 14:16:22 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Trim
>
>> Steven, If I might make a suggestion.
>>
>> If I were you I would concentrate on getting one _VERY_ stable computer
>> first. If your newer machine is buggy then make your older one the
>> stable machine.  _THEN_ you can use the other one to play around with.
>> That way you will always have a system that works well. Just don't mess
>> with the stable machine.
>>

> I am concentrating on the computer I want to function as my primary computer.

Sometimes it's not so much which we "want" but which will function. In
your case it _might_ be better to use your older computer as your stable
work-a-day computer. That way if something goes wrong with your better
one you can at least fall back on it. Your newer whiz-bang computer
_might_ work better with 9.10 [ a, b, rc ]. Just a thought.

Did you ever get your network issues worked out so you can swap files
between computers?

You've said that it works well from the live CD. Well, my suggestion
will probably not make you to happy. Save off whatever you can and want
to save. Format the drive and re-install 9.04. Add back whatever you
saved item by item. Checking to see that nothing causes a fault. Install
only what's in the repos or has a deb using the package managers. Check
to make sure something doesn't  cause a fault as you do so. Once you
have it working properly _leave_it_alone_. If you want to try some
outside package try it on a spare computer first. Once you've worked out
any problems _then_ you add it to your primary computer. Don't just
install anything that comes along.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,