Locked up in boot process.

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Aug 2 04:48:49 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:

> It looks like I was not successful; what do I do now?

Sorry, should have known you used livecd to kate /boot/grub/menu.lst.
But, if that is the case you are seeing livecd's menu.lst and it and
grub should be empty. You can go to livecd and 'see' your partitions, right?
But let's build on John's idea. All this will be at livecd.

Open dolphin, click on the partition (at right hand side of dolphin)
containing your grub, making sure it is the correct harddisk, (you have
2?) click on the root folder (inside dolphin, not the right side), then
the boot folder, then again the grub folder. Press alt + . to see hidden
files. just click on menu.lst, (it will open unsavable kate) and check
if it is empty or there are entries there. If it contains entries, check
if it correct, ie, contains pci=nomsi etc). If empty or in error, exit
kate (as it is unsavable) and this time press F4 at dolphin, and at
command prompt that opens, type kdesudo kate menu.lst, when kate
appears, amend, and save).

Reboot without livecd.

Note: if entries are not empty and correct (I would think this would be
case), come back to us and maybe some of us can think of something.

Regards,
Goh Lip