Locked up in boot process.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 2 02:23:34 UTC 2009

On Saturday 01 August 2009 11:02:26 pm John DeCarlo wrote:
> f you save the changes while you are in kate, they are saved to the hard
> drive and will be there when you next boot.
Trim

Dear John,

I don't believe the process completed.  I clicked on save in Kate and the
whole process is as follows:

ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ kdesudo mkdir /media/disk/boot
ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ kdesudo mount /dev/sdb2 /media/disk/boot
ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ kdesudo kate /media/disk/boot/grub/menu.lst
kate(14541) KToolInvocation::klauncher: klauncher not running... launching
kdeinit
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kded4
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(14562) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in
"/usr/share/applications/kde/k3b.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard
(missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(14562) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in
"/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-startcenter.desktop" is not compliant
with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(14562) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in
"/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-startcenter.desktop" is not compliant
with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(14562) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in
"/usr/share/applications/speedcrunch.desktop" is not compliant with XDG
standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
kded(14558): Communication problem with  "kded" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive
areply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,
or the network connection was broken." "

kded(14559): "Error launching kconf_update. Either KLauncher is not running
anymore, or it failed to start the application."

kded(14559) KDEDModule::setModuleName: registerObject() successful for
"kdedglobalaccel"
kded(14559) KDEDModule::setModuleName: registerObject() successful for
"khotkeys"
kded(14559) KDEDModule::setModuleName: registerObject() returned false for
"khotkeys"
"KConfigIni: In file /tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateC14566.tmp, line 1: " Invalid
entry (missing '=')
kdeinit4: preparing to launch
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/knotify4

It looks like I was not successful; what do I do now?

Thanks!

Steven