Locked up in boot process.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 1 18:45:18 UTC 2009

Trim
> If that is all you can see in /boot, Steven, then that install seems to be
> hosed as grub itself was never installed.  I'd do it again, from a cold
> powerup with the install disk in the optical drive.  Note that forward
> slash though, just 'boot' instead of '/boot' might be getting you the wrong
> directory somehow made during a broken install.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.  My computer has been
working fine for over a month.  Minor glitches have appeared just after an
upgrade, but even then everything has been problem free, as far as I am
concerned.

See for yourself:

ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ /boot/grub/menu.lst
bash: /boot/grub/menu.lst: No such file or directory
ubuntu at ubuntu:~$

ubuntu at ubuntu:~$ /boot/grub
bash: /boot/grub: No such file or directory
ubuntu at ubuntu:~$

Before the failed install of xine, my computer worked fine.  I was stopped in
the middle of installation with an instruction that I did not have proper
permissions, and to install I was in sudo.  Immediately after closing
KpackageKit, I was unable to open Konqueror, or Dolphin, or a shell.  I came
to the boot problem when I tried to restart my computer.

I haven't been experimenting or playing at all with any configurations or
trying to make difficult installations for over a month.  To be honest, I
injured myself and wasn't able to spend the time on too many thoughtful
projects, but I was motivated to stop taking the hits for a while.  I have
been using my computer for pleasure only.  When I couldn't play a .wmv, I
attempted to install Xine, because it was recommended.  I am concerned that
some of the recent updates have broken previous good work.

In the month that preceded this crash, I had to reinstall about 20 times.  I
took a lot of cheap shots through that time period where the assumption seemed
to be that I was just playing with my computer and that was the cause of the
screw ups.  I am a pretty easy going fellow, but it got so depressing to hear
the same innuendos, that I stopped doing anything interesting on my computer
and just used it to send emails and view movies and the like.  So when this
happened, I did not have anything to relate the problem to from a stable
system.  And like before, no one seems to believe my comments.  But I am an
expert at installing Jaunty perfectly and kmail and other things that are
necessary immediately after installation, so I am sure that this is not a
problem cause by me, unless I am to blame for wanting to install xine, using
kpackagekit.  It is the only different thing done to my computer in over a
month of working better than perfectly.  Transfer speeds now exceed what the
computer is supposed to be capable of,  But they are what they are.  One gig
moved in 6 seconds.  Perhaps that is the reason this happened.  I use ext4
exclusively.  Could the extra speed be causing the installation problems?

My brain feels like it is in a vice.  Thanks for the help, friend.

Steven