Switching off all ound notifications

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Thu Apr 30 23:08:41 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009 6:26:48 pm marc wrote:
> Clay Weber said:
> > On Thursday 30 April 2009 6:06:00 pm marc wrote:
> >> It used to be possible to switch off all sound notifications in a
> >> single click. I can't find where to do this now. Anyone know? Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best,
> >> Marc
> >
> > Try System Settings / Notifications / Player Settings and check "no
> > audio output"
> > That , um, sounds like that is what you are looking for
>
> Ah, I thought that was for all audio, not just notifications.
>
> However, it doesn't work for gnome apps (in Kubuntu), which continue
> peeping and pinging and burbling every time you hit a button. And, of
> course, the apps themselves don't have their own audio controls; I know
> not why, I really don't.
>
> It's ironic that in attempting to dumb things down - which they no doubt
> label as "simpler" - the powers that be are slowly turning things into a
> morass of confusion. The optimist in me says that they'll all play
> together one day, but looking over my shoulder, I just know that once
> they do, they'll find an excuse to tear it all down and rewrite it again.
>
> Hopefully, by then, they'll have attended 101 software refactoring and
> know how to do the job properly.
>
> This audio and notification nonsense is silly beyond words.
>
> --
> Best,
> Marc

Unfortunately, you will probably have to go into gnome's preferences and
disable it there, too.

You are more or less running two separate desktop environments that don't use
the same settings. There are some standards, such as menus and similar, but
once you open a gnome app, it will look for gnome settings. KDE's settings
aren't used there (and vice-versa).
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net