KPacketKit

Irving Leonard irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu
Thu Apr 30 22:13:43 UTC 2009

On Jueves 30 Abril 2009 04:18:10 PM Brian Norman Wootton escribió:
> DB> > Install Synaptic. Kpackagekit is a waste of disk space.
> DB>
> DB> But synaptic is a _bigger_ waste, as it pulls in so much of Gnome...
> DB>  :-)
>
> Kpackagekit looks to be pretty incomplete (e.g. there is a details
> button that is always greyed out).
I think it is good start for a package manager for "users", those who never
want to open a console or write a simple command, or understand about
"packages" and wanting "programs".
> Adept is available for Jaunty, though
> that too is a pale imitation of the KDE3 version (inconsistent behaviour
> of the search bing the biggest problem).
>
> As of right now none of the package manager choices is altogether
> satisfactory (IMHO), but if you have Kpackagekit, adept and aptitude
> (along of course with apt-get at the command line) one of them will do
> most things.
>
> Thanks fellers.
>   After footling about with apt-get, dpkg, et al, I finally found out that
> KPackageKit was hung up trying to install a java plugin for firefox which
> depended on ia32-sun-java6-bin-6-13-1-amd64.deb. Kpack* had previously
> refused to install ia32* saying it was not an official package. But, but,
> but.....every time I fired up KPack* afterwards it kept trying to install
> the firefox jre plugin and hanging forever looking for sun-java6-bin which
> it had refused to install. I couldn't discover how to tell the
> 'installation system' to forget this java plugin so I swore loud and long
> and re-installed Jaunty, a sledge-hammer to crack a nut, I know, but it
> worked. I suggest that any-one with Jaunty on an AMD64 avoid
> ia32-sun-java6-bin-6-13-1-amd64.deb like the plague.
> brian

the problem with java-bin is that it needs the user input tu accept the
license and the kpackage is uncapable to make it happend, so it fails silently
and hangs. My solution was to use aptitude or apt-get (because I only have
Kpackagekit installed), and get java work; also I have de i386 version, don't
know if it is similar but almost for sure that the license issue is there.
I also discover that it will not replace a package, like when I needed to
replace libgpod4-nogtk with libgpod4. It said that I must uninstall the first
one before proceeding. It certenly don't solve every dependency.
regards
irving
VI Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación Energética
9 - 12 de Junio 2009, Palacio de las Convenciones
...Por una cultura energética sustentable
www.ciercuba.com