Quick Access Menu plasmoid

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 30 06:07:07 UTC 2009

(Trim)
> Ok, I think you can skip the lock and unlock stages, At least this process
> works on my computer with them locked. So when your quick access comes up
> blank what is in the space that you end up typing "/media/disk-2/steven".

I don't know why, but it shows, (if I remember correctly, it is hard for me to
remember something that didn't seem relevant to memory at the time),
/media/steven which is a location on the boot partition.  My boot partition is
only 20gb in size, and what I want in the widget contains more that 200gb of
data.  When I lose the contents, I lose whatever is in the widget.  When I
restore the widget, it always puts me back in a root folder with the small
partition.
> is it also blank?  I'm also presuming that after you put the right address
> in that Quick Access works for the rest of the session??

It works for several sessions until another crash.  I don't know why I am
having so many system crashed anymore, but it started when I fresh installed
the jaunty Rc.  I never had these problems when I was in the Alpha and Beta
stages of development.  There were constant updates and upgrades, but my
computer ran mostly stable.  Now that I am in the Rc, I am constantly having
video issues, boot issues, Kontact crashes, Kedit crashes, widget crashes,
etc.  And my mouse is sluggish most of the time.  Applications open slower
much of the time.  When they operate correctly, they are lightning fast.  I
can't seem to keep desktop extras working.  Pulseaudio works sometimes for me
when other's don't, however, usually the Alsa analog is what works for me.
When it isn't working pulse audio does.  And I have not heard anything
positive about pulse audio.  The Rc is making me crazy.  It is manifesting all
the problems I was warned about when I had stable operation in Alpha and Beta.
Still, I love this Jaunty OS in KDE, and will tough it out until stable.  It
is just plain terrific when it is working right.
> which would seem
> to indicate that this isn't a mount problem.
>
> Steven the reason for all of these questions is to try and figure out at
> what level your problem lies, and if you have indeed found a bug, then
> figuring out how to replicate it.  So far I can't, although my extra
> partition is mounted in my home dir not in /media so that may or may not
> have something to do with it.  ;-)

I wish I was a little more versed in this system.  I don't know why having a
storage partition named /media creates a problem.  The storage is for media
projects mostly.  But I have had lots of questions thrown at me about using
/media for a mount.  Because I don't know why it is a problem, I don't know
why it should be changed.  And, I wouldn't know what to change it too to
reduce the problem it seems to cause.  Actually, I have never thought naming
it media had anything to do with why problems happen.  I suspect the same
problems would happen if I called it /artwork or /movies or /greatstuff or
/whatever.  I thought it was only an identifier, a name.

steven