Flash and Linux

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:36:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:14, Ignazio Palmisano <ignazio_io at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Goh Lip wrote:
>>> The problem is with Flash 10. It is beta and is only available for
>>> Linux. You will get the same problem with any other distro and any
>>> other browser, unless you disable Flash like you did in your Opera.
>>> Of course, you can also disable Flash in Firefox or Konqueror. I
>>> think Konqueror or Opera has the facility to disable or customize the
>>> website individually. Example, you can disable Flash in
>>> http://www.lakerda.co.il/ but allows it for other websites. Some
>>> other websites may not have this problem if they don't load multiple
>>> flash ads in them.
>>> This might be helpful to you.
>>>

>>> Another solution is to remove and purge Flash 10 and install Flash 9
>>> from Adobe's website. (but I haven't tried this, liked the big screen too much)
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Goh Lip
>>>

>>> If I never went through the hard times, I would not be able to appreciate the good ones.
>>>                           - - Ashley Alexandra Dupre
>>>

>> Actually it is not a Flash 10 problem but a Flash + Linux in general. I remember other sites with
>> a lot of Flash content making similar problems using Flash 9.
>> In that other OS there isn't a sign of any problem. So what gives in Linux?
>
> The Linux version is not at the same technical level of the other
> versions? (I believe it's closed source, is it? So we cannot dig in the
> source code to check whether it's well done or a mess...)
> 2c,
> I.

First, this kind of problem do happen with Flash9. Once in a while I'd
notice my cpu going mad and stoping only after closing some firefox
tabs that were using flash.
This problem is still present in flash 10, even the 64bits version.

And yeah, Flash is closed source, there isn't much we can do about it
but complain to adobe.
Thou, as other matters, adobe will probably just push the ball to
Firefox, saying the problem is there. Firefox will then push the ball
back, and we won't see any progress in this matter. Sadly :(

Cheers.