no "upgrade available" notification

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Apr 27 18:13:14 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009 8:59:43 am GreyGeek wrote:
> Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:21:11 am D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> I have seen no trace of an "upgrade is available" icon, which surprises
> >> me. If I force a download of all the repositories (from the main
> >> Canonical server), I don't see any obvious failures, but still the
> >> system doesn't suggest that there are any kinds of updates or upgrades
> >> available.
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get install update-manager
> > sudo update-manager -d
>
> Shouldn't that be:  sudo apt-get install update-manager-kde  ???
>
> I tried that it it resulted in an output that ended with "0;0" and the
> konsole hung.
>
> Using Synaptic I reinstalled update-manager-kde and things seemed to
> return to normal.

If he were using Synaptic, he wouldn't be having the problem as it has a
simple set-up in "settings" "repositories" "updates" where you get the choice
of  "Never" "Normal Releases" or "Long term support releases only"  which of
course makes Update Manager work as expected.  He is trying to do this
without the tools which were made to make it easy.  Yes, it works for me too.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org