Permissions problem in Jaunty. <OT>

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 18:54:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 19:02 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 08:23 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > >  If you
> > > want total freedom for each user on your machine to do with the
> > > file system whatever he pleases, we are back in the time of CP/M or
> > > DOS. I don't think many users would vote for those systems.
> >
> > I had a collection of Multiple machines/terminals running/using cp/m
> > and used mp/m on the central server, which was secure with regards to
> > the diff between admin and users.
>
> Interesting. I didn't know that MP/M had privilege separation.
>
> > A 64bit cp/m would be cool! Imagine
> > tossing gigs of memory to it! SuperCalc would scream. <chuckles> Ric
>
> Sure, 64bit CP/M would be cool. OTOH, the only thing I really miss from
> those days is the time from power on till command prompt of less than
> half a second (all programs in EPROM disk :)

I would login as "admin" to gain system wide priviledges. It would serve
both CP/M and CP/M-86 from two partitions on a 40mb harddrive. That was
MP/M from Televideo on the 1608, who made some slick machines with
slicker keyboards. Best I have ever used. Plenty of wrist space and they
were rugged as heck with spring contacts. I had a collection of just
about every CP/M and CPM/86 desktop and luggable machines ever built.
Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987