49 seconds to boot: how do I stack up?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:22:19 UTC 2009

I have heard that Ubuntu 9.04 has super-fast boots, on the order of
20-30 seconds. My Dell Inspiron (2 GHz processor, 2 GiB
 RAM) boots in 49 seconds, only three seconds faster than a six-month
old Hardy install on the same hardware. Was Kubuntu's boot not
improved as Ubuntu's, do I have a misconfiguration? How do other
Kubuntu user's boot times compare?

Note that I did profile the boot process after the second boot, after
I had installed my applications. I did not test the boot time before
profiling, but the profile did seem to take a long time.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il