Permissions problem in Jaunty.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 04:44:39 UTC 2009

I have a 500gb SATA HDD in my computer.  When I open Dolphin, on the left
column of contents are two entries called Volume (ext3).  Both are identified
exactly the same, however one is a partition on the HDD and the other is a
different partition on the same drive.  The first in line is over 200gb in size,
and I cannot use it because of a message that says, "Could not enter folder
/media /disk/lost+found."  Additionally it would be nice to have each of them
have a separate identity,  Used to be sda1, sda2, etc.  What is accomplished
by identifying them both as Volume (ext3)?

I would like to know what is in the lost+found folder, but more importantly, I
would like to put data in the partition.  I tried to create a folder in the
partition to put things in it, but the option to create a folder is not
available either; it is grayed out in the File menu.  If possible I would like
to learn how to make everything on my computer available to me, without any
permissions problems for anything.  Perhaps it is one of the freedom issues
that are tied to Linux users, but for me, it is annoying to have to give
myself permission to do anything.  Can someone please help me get this
straightened out?  Doesn't this bother anyone else?  Thanks in advance.

I wonder how difficult it would be to create two OS's and make them available to
each of us by choice.  One could contain an OS where someone else makes our
decisions about our own property, the other could be one could be made so the
owner is responsible for his own actions.  I bet if that one were put to a
vote, the choice would be 0% for someone else making your decisions for you,
and 100% in favor of freedom.

Steven