Changinnng to default BIOS settings has created problems.

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 20 20:30:13 UTC 2009

> So when you are in "recovery, safe values or whatever it is called",
> then when there is a prompt, enter your userid and then your password.
> Then you will need to change /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I can get a command prompt, but what do I enter? Do I use Kate?  Onboard
video is 8400 nVidia Gforce.  I believe it calls for the 173 driver.
Eberhard, I don't even know what searching a string is.  Where do I
look?  And would the command look like this 'nvidia river "nv"' without
the single quotes?
> Just to see something on the screen which resembles X, I would search
> the string <Driver "nvidia"> and change this to <river "nv">, which is
> the opensource nvidia driver. This should give you enough GUI to
> continue with your troubleshooting.
>
> The same happened to me yesterday, when I made the mistake to install
> nvida 180 from a ppa repo of the newest and greatest and anything was
> screwed and I could not get anything to display. I know it was my own
> foolishness...
> However I am in Intrepid, as you know.

In Jaunty, there is a hardware application that shows the nVidia
drivers; the 180 driver is for 9000 series the 173 is for 8000, I
believe each thousand series has a different driver.

> This is how the teeth should look, I guess:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:PCI-Express-graphics-board.jpg&filetimestamp=20051112120927

If you notice the partial tooth to the right next to last, that is the
way they are on my card, so it must be right as is.   There is also a
tooth like that on the other side of the card.

> Just let us know how to proceed. If you happen to have a Ubuntu CD, you
> might also boot from there. It will most probably be easier for you to
> alter the X configuration from the GUI than through the commandline.

I have a 64 bit Kubuntu cd, that I thought was a live CD, but when I put
it in the Rom, it came up as an installation, without an option to open
using the CD.  There also was a method of repair.  When I started that,
it seemed like I would just be installing again, so I stopped
mid-installation.  Perhaps that would be the right thing to do though.
I was concerned about whether it would eliminate the configuration and
thought I would try a fix that would save configuration settings.  You
are so kind to me Eberhard.  Thanks for coming into this problem.  It is
way over my head.

Steven