Is Canonical against Kubuntu (2): the bug tracking disaster

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Apr 19 16:42:11 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> IMO.  Those who serve this List, by helping those with problems,
> should have a voice of high priority on the bug servicing WISH list,
> because they are contributing to the success of the project.  Non
> contributors should be allowed to add their requests at a much lesser
> order of importance, and developers of the system should be able to
> do the work, as they see fit, regardless of the opinions of anyone
> else.

I don't like the idea of giving bugs priorities dependent on the person
who reports the bug. But if you want to go that route anyway, how do
you want to measure the value of one persons contributions?

I think you should consider that there are various ways to contribute to
Kubuntu. There are mailing lists, IRC, forums, bug triaging and
probably other public ways. But there are also ways you can't see, like
private telephone support or promoting Kubuntu on local events. I don't
think it is easy to find out if any particular person makes more or
better contributions than any other person.

Finally, it is probably not useful or even possible to force those
volunteers who triage bugs to follow priorities set by someone else. If
they don't like the priorities they would simply quit their voluntary
work and that would be much worse than using "wrong" priorities. IMHO
priorities can only be enforced in a corporate environment, not among
volunteers.

Nils