Default window size settings Thunderbird

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Apr 18 14:20:59 UTC 2009

marc wrote:
> Nigel Ridley said...
>
>> I would like to be able to set the default  window sizes for Thunderbird to be different between
>> the main mail client and the 'compose new mail' window (right click Title bar > Advanced >
>> Special Window Settings).
>> This used to be possible pre-Hardy but now if I set the main Thunderbird window, then open a
>> 'compose new mail' window and reset the size (under 'Special Window Settings') to something
>> smaller, then the main Thunderbird window also takes on this size when restarted.
>> I want a smaller 'compose new mail' window so that I can still 'see' the rest of the main
>> Thunderbird window -- does this makes sense amongst my ramblings?
>>

> Yup, the mozilla products are bad for this. You need to mess around with
> the window-specific settings, rather than the app-specific ones. I
> suspect you know this, though.
>
> Fiddle with the window class and window role settings, and consider
> _not_ using exact match. The "Detect window properties" function can be
> useful here. If that doesn't get you where you want to be, move on to
> the Window extra tab.

I know these are absolutely stupid questions, but someone needs to ask.
Sometimes the simplest thing gets overlooked because it _is_ so obvious.

Have you checked the little window size button at the top right? Could
it have gotten accidentally ticked at some point making it full screen?
Have you tried simply grabbing a corner and shrinking it to the size you
want and see if the setting sticks?

In all the versions since v0.x I have _never_ had Thunderbird open a
send window in anything other than a small window. Once in a while a
window that's smaller than I like but that's just a simple stretch and
the setting usually sticks. Even on the tiny screen of my EeePC it
doesn't open full screen.

--

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.