Using names, not IP addresses, in home network

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 07:36:14 UTC 2009

> And another method would be to have your router hand out specific IP addresses
> based on the MAC address of each computer.   And then use /etc/hosts to point
> to the specific IP addresses by name.

The problem is that I could not give each machine a static IP address
as the laptop is often moved to other networks. However, on your
suggestion I looked and sure enough my router can give addresses based
on MAC address, and that solved the problem. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il