Jaunty: Notifications

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon Apr 13 13:16:29 UTC 2009

Lindsay Mathieson said...
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:27:37 pm marc wrote:
> > For the record, Lindsay, I share your views on MS stuff. I don't
> > actually like the products - although XP is 7/10,
>
> Agreed, XP with SP2 is pretty sweet, At work we've skipped Vista all together
> and are evaluating Windows 7 - looks pretty good.

If I could just convince folk that email != Outlook - why do marketing
folk say, "We'll send it to their Outlook"? - and off 10Gb+ .pst files,
and that you don't "just have to have" word/excel/pp, then Kubuntu would
be more than adequate. I'll cave to the beanies needing excel, though.

> > imo - but there's no
> > denying the effectiveness of their server products in the right hands.
> > And there's the rub, most MS admins I've come across are woeful pointy-
> > clickers with no depth of understanding
>
> Oh yeah ... We have a large number of clients we have to inteorp with, the
> Asian ones have a chronic tendency to jump the gun. One of them upgraded
> several thousand desktops in one go to Vista Beta One - that was a nightmare

You've just trumped all my problems by a few orders of magnitude.

> OTOH lots of them run locked down Terminal Server/Citrix environments, they do
> pretty well.
>
> In House we run a mixture, and we're very interested in moving to open source
> web solutions. This is where mono gets a lot of attention. The ability for us
> to deploy a license free blackbox virtualised server (VMWare images etc) is
> very attractive.

I'm thinking along similar lines. For the locked down folk, Linux is a
better bet, imo, and clearly far easier to admin and secure/protect.

--
Cheers,
Marc