Jaunty: Notifications

Lindsay Mathieson Lindsay.Mathieson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:11:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:27:37 pm marc wrote:
> For the record, Lindsay, I share your views on MS stuff. I don't
> actually like the products - although XP is 7/10,

Agreed, XP with SP2 is pretty sweet, At work we've skipped Vista all together
and are evaluating Windows 7 - looks pretty good.

> imo - but there's no
> denying the effectiveness of their server products in the right hands.
> And there's the rub, most MS admins I've come across are woeful pointy-
> clickers with no depth of understanding

Oh yeah ... We have a large number of clients we have to inteorp with, the
Asian ones have a chronic tendency to jump the gun. One of them upgraded
several thousand desktops in one go to Vista Beta One - that was a nightmare

OTOH lots of them run locked down Terminal Server/Citrix environments, they do
pretty well.

In House we run a mixture, and we're very interested in moving to open source
web solutions. This is where mono gets a lot of attention. The ability for us
to deploy a license free blackbox virtualised server (VMWare images etc) is
very attractive.

--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home/