Fish won't work (long)

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:22:58 UTC 2009

Tony Sivori said the following at 04/12/2009 11:19 AM :

> I've put hours in trying to make this work, with only negative results. I
> could really use some help getting any kind of secure gui LAN working
> between these two computers.

First, please be assured that fish *does* work (modulo some speed bugs that
don't concern us here). So the problem seems like it must be in your
configuration somehow.

Things to try:

1. Make sure that pings work between the two computers. Use the same
name(s) as you want to use with fish (to make sure that there are no DNS
problems).

2. Simply log in to the "remote" computer using ssh from the "local"
computer, and using the same usernames and hostnames that you want to use
with fish. This is what fish does underneath the hood.

If 1 and 2 work, then there is something extremely strange going on. Much
more likely (*much* more likely) you'll find that you can't log in with
ssh. In which case:

3. check that sshd is running on the remote and is really working.

4. Check the filtering in routers between the computers.

The error you report:
  ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.102 port 22: Connection refused
means that post 22 is closed on the destination computer. Which means (most
likely) that sshd is not running there.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR