Opening file in already running Kate

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:40:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Nigel Ridley
<nigel at prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Nigel Ridley <nigel at prayingforisrael.net> wrote:
>>> Before I did a clean install of Jaunty, if Kate was already running and I clicked on a [text]
>>> file in Konqueror, then it would open in the already running Kate. Now, however, if I do the same
>>> in Dolphin, I get a new instance of Kate (Konqueror does the same as Dolphin now).
>>> How can I get files to open in the already running Kate?
>>
>> There is a flag --use to Kate that will use an already running Kate if
>> it exist. I guess one can add that flag to the Kate file bindings
>> commands.
>>
>> / Jonas
>>

> You want to give me a starter/clue on how to do it..... :-)

I dont know if you running KDE 3 or 4 but in Intrepid and KDE 4 i
start System settings->Advanced tab->File bindings. In the treeview
select text and then fore every filetype that has Kate as an option of
program to the right, select the kate option and click edit, in the
dialog that opens select the Program tab and change the Command from
kate %U to kate --use %U.
This is untested but i think it should work.

/ Jonas