Jaunty - installing .deb without password!

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Sat Apr 4 17:07:05 UTC 2009

I'm not sure what or how it happened but I downloaded Opera from their website and then clicked
on the downloaded file in Dolphin. Dolphin asked if I wanted to install the Opera .deb - I
clicked 'Install' and it installed it -- without asking for my password!
I checked it's install location and it was installed into usr/bin/; usr/lib and usr/share (plus
some subdirectories of usr/lib and usr/share).

How did the system allow me to install something without permission?

A couple of days ago I installed another .deb that I downloaded and Dolphin *did* ask for my
password.

Any ideas?

Blessings,

Nigel