Kubuntu 8.10 for PPC Users

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 2 07:23:07 UTC 2009

Irena & Richard Jenkins wrote:
> On this G5 Macintosh, I have installed 8.04.1 (from the cdimage website).  it
> is already 12 months old ... but i have kept it up to date with the package
> manager.
>
> Now ... bearing in mind that to upgrade to hardy heron, I would have to
> collect and install a server edition of ubuntu and then
> install  'kubuntu-desktop' ... is the upgrade worth bothering with??  One or
> two programs I use are a little dated (e.g. fldigi)  ... but the system seems
> stable and I am enjoying the Kubuntu experience.
>
> Or should I wait until the release of 9.04 ... and any bugs are worked
> through.
>
> Thanks..
>
> Richard

Please do not consider my comments too much.  I am inexperienced.  I do
have a lot of experience with Jaunty, though.  I had to use it because
of the components on my motherboard or not have a kubuntu system that
worked.  Anyway, I have been using Jaunty through the Alpha and now Beta
experience.  At least on my machine, it works better than anything
before.  It is incredible compared to what you are considering.

My new motherboard has an nVidia 780a chip.  Onboard sound is nVidia
Gforce 8400 and my Graphic card is an nVidia 9600 Gforce.  Also I have
8gb of ram, which confuses the older OS's.  Nonetheless, the new Jaunty
is unbelievable.  Router and networking were set up without my
participation.  Boot and use.  Kmail which would not install in Intrepid
asked two questions, what are my pop and smtp addresses.  When I clicked
Ok, I could send and receive emails.  The default video worked
beautifully, however I read that the proper driver for my system was the
180.37 driver, so I simply went to hardware, clicked on the 180.37
driver entry and clicked OK.  That was the end of that.  My video
improved so much it was shocking, and I already thought the default
settings were good.  One click and the BIOS was upgraded.  I have been
working with an almost perfect system.  I am sure the final release will
be better, but the current status of Jaunty is better than I have
experienced all the way back to Feisty and all their stable versions.

In my opinion I would consider waiting for the stable Jaunty.  It offers
just too much in the way of benefits.  I might even consider selling my
Microsoft stock even at a low.  I have heard that Jaunty may be 100% GUI
by stable release.  While I am still learning the shell, and will
continue, it will be nice for people who have only experienced Windows
to change to a system not riddled with security problems, adware, and
virus' with greater features and faster operation.  Since my system is
unusual to most systems, I may have just been fortunate, so I don't
necessarily recommend changing now.  30 days is not too long a wait for
something so improved.

Steven