Kubuntu 8.10 for PPC Users

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Apr 2 06:30:36 UTC 2009

Irena & Richard Jenkins wrote:
> On this G5 Macintosh, I have installed 8.04.1 (from the cdimage website).  it
> is already 12 months old ... but i have kept it up to date with the package
> manager.
>
> Now ... bearing in mind that to upgrade to hardy heron, I would have to
> collect and install a server edition of ubuntu and then
> install  'kubuntu-desktop' ... is the upgrade worth bothering with??  One or
> two programs I use are a little dated (e.g. fldigi)  ... but the system seems
> stable and I am enjoying the Kubuntu experience.
>
> Or should I wait until the release of 9.04 ... and any bugs are worked
> through.
>
> Thanks..
>
> Richard

I still run Dapper Drake on my G3 Power Mac.  But when June rolls
around, I will be moving it to Debian.  The reason is that PPC is an
officially supported platform in Debian.  Not so with Ubuntu anymore, so
you won't be able to count on either updated *ubuntu versions or even
perhaps security updates in the future.

If you like what's good in Kubuntu, then I would suggest that you also
consider Debian for your G5 Mac, for these same reasons.  *ubuntu is a
fine distro, and I like it very much, but in your case, it simply
doesn't look like it's the best tool long-term.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!