Duplicate files

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Apr 2 07:07:28 UTC 2009

Dear Steven,

> How are you, my friend.  I have tried to give you a break, it sounded
> like work was bearing in on you.  I have come to think of you more as
> friend than as a person helping me.  I just can't help it.  You have
> been so kind.

thanks much Steven, so let's see..

> Am I to understand that the 6gb remainder is sufficient for my /
> partition?  Anytime my computer gets that close on any HDD with a couple
> hundred gigs, I get concerned.  I don't know how the HDD handles the
> last few percent of space.  And even though it is more than 25% of the
> partition, it is 1% of the drive.

Actually when you are asking different people about anything Linux, you
get alt least as much answers as there are people.

IMHO about 80% of HD usage should be some kind of "soft limit". Again,
IMHO this is mainly a limit that is useful to prevent disk fragmentation.
Linux will basically run very happily until your disk is 100% full.
However, when "/" is close to 100% usage, then it will stop to run. ;-))

As this is your system disk, I would not worry. "/" generally does not
tend to grow quickly.

However, you should
-have a look every now and then and see what space you have left on "/"

-when you absolutely need it, perhaps follow the advice given in this
thread and cleanup the archived packages. Fwiw, on my 32bit Intepid this
would currently free up about 500 MB

kind regards
Eberhard