Duplicate files

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 1 14:10:28 UTC 2009

> sudo fdupes -nr /
>
> and you'll be able to check more.  Probably not worth it though.
>

>>> /home/steven/Desktop/Home.desktop
>>> /usr/share/kde4/apps/kio_desktop/DesktopLinks/Home.desktop
>>>

> This is just a default file.  You should leave it so everything will be
> normal if you create another user.
>

>>> /home/steven/Desktop/e-Sword.msi
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/msi1637.tmp
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/msi26c0.tmp
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/msi4c0.tmp
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/msi12bf.tmp
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/Installer/633b.msi
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/Installer/8e9f.msi
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/msi1801.tmp
>>> /home/steven/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/steven/Local
>>> Settings/Application Data/Downloaded
>>> Installations/{EC4932D3-C9E1-463F-9786-22F69E701B56}/e-Sword.msi
>>>

> This is apparently a temp file that was copied all over.  You can delete
> them all if you don't plan to reinstall.

I want to keep a working application of wine and e-Sword.  If I remove
the above files, do I still retain working applications of wine and
e-Sword?  If I delete them and need them again, can I just download them
again?  I have never had to think about things like this before.

>>> /home/steven/Documents/Inkheart[2008]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG.4793640.TPB.torrent
>>>
>>> /home/steven/Torrents/Inkheart[2008]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG.torrent
>>> /home/steven/.local/share/Trash/files/Inkheart[2008]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG.4793640.TPB.torrent
>>>

> I would just delete all old torrent files.

Is there a way to do this using the command like where the computer
seeks them out and removes them, or do I have to look for them and
delete them manually?  I am currently downloading three movies using
Ktorrent.  If I removed all torrents, would these movies stop
downloading?  Or are the Torrent files only used to make a connection,
and once made, irrelevant?

>>> /home/steven/e-Sword/BibleFiles/nblh.bbl
>>> /home/steven/backup/OldComputerStuff/HomeStevenStuff/Desktop
>>> Stuff/BibleFiles/nblh.bbl
>>>

> Obvious what these are.

These are different Bible versions.  I study them.  I want them all, but
don't want redundancies.  They are used by an application called e-Sword.

>>> /home/steven/e-Sword/.directory
>>> /home/steven/Downloads/.directory
>>> /home/steven/backup/OldComputerStuff/.directory
>>> /home/steven/Code/.directory
>>>
>>> /home/steven/.mozilla-thunderbird/cfk9v44c.default/Mail/Local
>>> Folders/Inbox.sbd/donbnfborn
>>> /home/steven/HOME/Inbox.sbd/donbnfborn
>>>

> Not sure.  What is /home/steven/HOME

I was following an instruction where I probably did not understand what
was being suggested.  It currently has backup of email records from the
list and an application called Winetricks that I don't know where to store.

>>> /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.order
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-server/modules.order
>>>

> These are from old kernels.  Don't try to remove anything manually, but
> you can do, e.g.:
>
> sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.25-2-386

Do old kernels use up a lot of space?  How and when does a person
determine if they are no longer of value?
> Don't actually run that command, it's just an example.  But this shows
> how you can remove an old kernel, if you're sure which is old!

I hear the terms mentioned a lot, but don't know when one is no longer
needed.  So much of what I save is a defense mechanism to not delete
something important.  Not knowing what it is used for, but having it if
someone who helps me needs the information.  It is the only thing I know
to do until I understand what things are needed and used for.  Until the
list, I have had no help whatsoever for 20 years.  I also have been
using Google and Wiki incorrectly, so they weren't much value to me.  I
am just now learning to use them better.

>>> /lib/partman/mountoptions/ext4
>>> /lib/partman/mountoptions/ext3
>>> /lib/partman/mountoptions/ext2
>>>
>>> /lib/partman/mountoptions/fat16
>>> /lib/partman/mountoptions/fat32
>>>
>>> /lib/partman/active_partition/99finish/do_option
>>> /lib/partman/choose_partition/90finish/do_option
>>>
>>> /lib/partman/active_partition/45jfs/do_option
>>> /lib/partman/active_partition/45xfs/do_option
>>>
>>> /lib/partman/active_partition/25divider/choices
>>> /lib/partman/choose_partition/65divider_down/choices
>>> /lib/partman/choose_partition/55divider_up/choices
>>>
>>> /lib/partman/active_partition/25divider/do_option
>>> /lib/partman/choose_partition/65divider_down/do_option
>>> /lib/partman/choose_partition/55divider_up/do_option
>>>
>>> /lib/partman/parted_names/efi
>>> /lib/partman/parted_names/fat16
>>>
>>> /srv/cvs/CVSROOT/modules
>>> /srv/cvs/CVSROOT/.#modules
>>>

> Why are you running a CVS server?

It is in response to a recommendation from the list.  I never understood
what it is or does, but I don't know the ramifications of removing
things I don't understand.  I don't remember much about the installation
or what it was for.

>>> /etc/java-6-sun/logging.properties
>>> /etc/java-6-openjdk/logging.properties
>>>

> You have two versions of Java, which may or may not be what you want.

I want Java, but did not know I had two.  I do not know which is the
better one to have, but I would just as soon remove one if it is not
necessary.
> I don't know.  You didn't post df -Th, and I'm not sure how your
> filesystem is laid out.  The command I gave was only an example, as I
> said.  It's possible that for instance /etc is mounted inside of Documents.
>
> steven at YESHUA:~$ df -Th
> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2     ext3     19G   12G  6.1G  66% /
> tmpfs        tmpfs    3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
> varrun       tmpfs    3.9G  308K  3.9G   1% /var/run
> varlock      tmpfs    3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /var/lock
> udev         tmpfs    3.9G  120K  3.9G   1% /dev
> tmpfs        tmpfs    3.9G   88K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
> lrm          tmpfs    3.9G  2.7M  3.9G   1%
> /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-server/volatile
> /dev/sda5     ext3    230G  130G   89G  60% /home
> /dev/sda6     ext3    204G  188M  193G   1% /home/backup
> steven at YESHUA:~$
>

>> And what about the 215,000
>> entried that were unreadable.  Should they all be removed?

And how do I do that.  After running pages and pages of them, the
process finally came to entries that were valid.  When I tried to back
up to those among the 215,000 I could not seem to get back to them.  If
I could get them back on the konsole, could I highlight them and delete
them in some manner.  Or highlight then enter the command rm and paste
them and have them removed that way?  Do they occupy as much space as
they appear to to an untrained person like me?

> Thanks friend.

Steven