Duplicate files

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Apr 1 13:37:00 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Eberhard Roloff wrote:

>>> Sorry! I bear the blame..
>>>
>>> I would!
>>>
>>> Especially for users that have no clue how to handle the textual output
>>> flood of the commandline tool. So CL might be better, but when it will
>>> not help?
>>>
>>> Eberhard
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> just to add and clarify:
>>
>> fdupes and tools like kdirstat actually do serve different purposes.
>>
>> fdupes finds duplicates of files, while kdirstat and the like will show,
>> where your harddisk space is gone.
>>
>> Steven, if you want to look for duplicate files graphically, you can
>> install kleansweep which does a bit of what fdupes does.
>>
>> Apparently, I was implicitly assuming that Stevens main problem is not
>> finding duplicate files but finding what consumes his disk space.
>> And this was not his question!
>>
>> Please accept my apologies.
>>
>> Eberhard
>>

> Dear Eberhard,
>
> Nice to hear from you.  Mainly, until I understand more of this, I am
> interested in not running out of disk space in the boot partition.  I
> started with 50gb and only have 6 right now, and basically I have only
> been working on learning the linux system and operation.

This I do not understand either. You gave us that:
steven at YESHUA:~$ df -h
 > /dev/sda2              19G   12G  6.1G  66% /
 > tmpfs                 3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
 > varrun                3.9G  308K  3.9G   1% /var/run
 > varlock               3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /var/lock
 > udev                  3.9G  120K  3.9G   1% /dev
 > tmpfs                 3.9G   88K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
 > lrm                   3.9G  2.7M  3.9G   1%
 > /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-server/volatile
 > /dev/sda5             230G  129G   89G  60% /home
 > /dev/sda6             204G  188M  193G   1% /home/backup
 > steven at YESHUA:~$

So your / is (about) 20 GB (not 50!) of which currently 6.1 GB are
available.

Having 12GB in use to me seems OK, ex. I am on 32bit Intrepid and my /
is 9 GB large.

> Movies are my diversion, so I don't ever want any of them in the boot
> partition.

OK then, did you find movies in / ?

I would think this is extremely unlikely.

Nevertheless, you should store your own files, including movies and
anything else either in /home or /home/backup.

Or is there anything else?

> When I ran fdupes, I had 215,000 entries where they were apparently
> broken or unreadable or whatever; it wasn't until that entire list had
> been gone through that readable and workable data showed up.  There was
> a lot of that too, but I don't yet know how to deal with the readable
> data.  But all those other entries, the 215,000, shouldn't they be
> removed; won't that free up space and make things more efficient?

Forget about fdupes. It is a great tool but the command line data flood
will easily overwhelm you.

My guess is, you issued fdupes without sudo and most of the output was
permission denied problems, but again, IMHO this is currently not
important. IMHO you better concentrate on your own data.

Kind regards
Eberhard