Duplicate files

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 1 12:52:02 UTC 2009

> Especially for users that have no clue how to handle the textual output
> flood of the commandline tool. So CL might be better, but when it will
> not help?
>
> Eberhard

I just opened filelight; it is fasinating.  Some areas occupy as much as
6gb of data, but how do I learn what is relevant and needs to be kept
and what is either no longer needed or redundant or saved for purposes I
do not require?  When I google something like, /var, I get a rather
basic understanding of what it is, but whether it is necessary to the
continued function of the computer is not mentioned.  I don't even know
what temporary files should be retained; can they all be removed, or by
having them do they save time when you may need  them again?

After reading the function of /var files, it looked to me like they
should all be kept, if you have sufficient space.  The key being whether
you will use them again or often, I guess.

When people start making decisions about what to keep or what to get rid
of, what are some examples of how such decisions are made?  Or is there
a tutorial for that; and what would I google to find it?  It seems to me
like I have very important and busy people doing work I should do for
myself.  It would be nice if there was a guide for we beginners that
would direct such a path as the questions start coming.  I hate to waste
other people's time.

Steven