Duplicate files

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 1 02:55:33 UTC 2009

>> It is hard for me to believe the OS is using 44 GB, on a Linux machine.
>>  I expect some of this is your data.
>>
>> Can you run:
>>
>> df -Th

I have a poor memory, however,  I meant to have a 50gb primary drive
partition.  Here it looks like it is only 19gb, but where is the data
stored in that is identified by the 6 tmpfs at 3.9gb each.  If they are
in the primary drive partition, I am accurate about the 50gb partition
with only 6gb remaining.  Sda5 and 6 look right.
>> with the filesystem in question mounted?  Assuming it is /, the command
>> would be:
>>
>> fdupes -nr /

There were 215,000 entries that had an error opening file and could not
read file.  The following is what could be read:

> [...]
> /var/lib/ucf/cache/:etc:foomatic:filter.conf
>
> /etc/anacrontab
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/anacrontab
>
> /etc/locale.alias
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/locale.alias
>
> /etc/rc3.d/README
> /etc/rc5.d/README
> /etc/rc2.d/README
> /etc/rc4.d/README
>
> /etc/ltrace.conf
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/ltrace.conf
>
> /etc/netscsid.conf
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/netscsid.conf
> /usr/share/doc/wodim/examples/netscsid.dfl
>
> /etc/gai.conf
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/gai.conf
>
> /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
> /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms
>
> /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
> /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/nvidia-common
>
> /etc/ufw/after.rules
> /usr/share/ufw/after.rules
>
> /etc/ufw/after6.rules
> /usr/share/ufw/after6.rules
>
> /etc/ufw/before6.rules
> /usr/share/ufw/before6.rules
>
> /etc/ufw/before.rules
> /usr/share/ufw/before.rules
>
> /etc/wgetrc
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/wgetrc
>
> /etc/subversion/config
> /home/steven/.subversion/config
>
> /etc/subversion/servers
> /home/steven/.subversion/servers
>
> /etc/protocols
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/protocols
>
> /etc/brlapi.key
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/brlapi.key
>
> /etc/java-6-sun/logging.properties
> /etc/java-6-openjdk/logging.properties
>
> /etc/java-6-sun/management/snmp.acl
> /etc/java-6-openjdk/management/snmp.acl
>
> /etc/java-6-sun/management/management.properties
> /etc/java-6-openjdk/management/management.properties
>
> /etc/java-6-sun/management/jmxremote.password
> /etc/java-6-openjdk/management/jmxremote.password
>
> /etc/java-6-sun/security/java.security
> /etc/java-6-openjdk/security/java.security
>
> /etc/java-6-sun/net.properties
> /etc/java-6-openjdk/net.properties
>
> /etc/media-detect.conf
> /usr/share/doc/lineak-defaultplugin/examples/media-detect.conf
>
> /etc/services
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/services
>
> /etc/hosts
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/hosts
>
> /etc/lftp.conf
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/lftp.conf
>
> /etc/quotatab
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/quotatab
>
> /etc/bindresvport.blacklist
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/bindresvport.blacklist
>
> /etc/bogofilter.cf
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/bogofilter.cf
>
> /etc/environment
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/environment
>
> /etc/systemsettingsrc
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/systemsettingsrc
>
> /etc/fstab
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/fstab
>
> /etc/kde4/kdeglobals
> /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals
>
> /etc/updatedb.conf
> /home/steven/Documents/etc/updatedb.conf

I do not know how to interpret what I am reading, from this part of the
list.  I am unable to go back and copy all the failed reads.

It looks like I save in /etc and again in /home/steven/Documents/etc/,
so can I safely remove one of each of these?  And what about the 215,000
entried that were unreadable.  Should they all be removed?

> Another tool to consider is filelight, a KDE app that shows you graphically
> what is occupying your drives. It makes it easy to spot huge files, for
> example. I always find  forgotten videos, iso images, etc using it.

I installed filelight; I will take a look at it after I send this
email.  thanks a lot Matt.  Could you take a small segment of what I
included and explain how to understand what to remove and what must be
retained.  I wouldn't even know what to ask for a google search.

Steven

Steven