KOffice vs. OpenOffice

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Sep 30 14:55:51 UTC 2008

John DeCarlo wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Derek Broughton
> <news at pointerstop.ca>wrote:
>
>> No, actually I was thinking of spreadsheets on my own laptop, coming from
>> server I'm testing.  I just tried to open a 93 byte .csv file with OO,
>> and it took 95 seconds just to get to the point of prompting me for a
>> login/password (which it shouldn't be doing, anyway).
>>
> Are you using Konqueror, Firefox, Thunderbird, directly entering an smb:
> file name, or mounting an smb folder or what?

Using either Konqueror or Firefox to browse a Plone (a content management
system) site that requires the user to login.  If I click on an Excel file,
I can choose to download it, and it gets immediately saved on my
filesystem.  If I instead choose to "open with..." and select OO, instead
of opening the downloaded stream, as I would expect, it seems to initiate a
whole new dialog with the server - which requires it to login again.  That
shouldn't be happening with _either_ Konqueror or Firefox.  I suppose I
should really try out IE as well.

> I have never seen anything like this myself in the years I have used OO.
> The only time that seems to happen is if I click on a URL pointing to a
> file name, but it also seems that I get the password prompt from Firefox,
> not OO.

Maybe you do, but it still shouldn't be happening.
--
derek