OT: rodent usage

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Fri Sep 26 16:17:40 UTC 2008

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
[snip]

>> 1) "Ball" mice may not roll smoothly, sometimes they need cleaning (not just
>> the ball as manufacturer tell, but the shafts it rools against)
>
> That's a big 10-4, In fact my track ball does sometimes have that
> problem. Every now and again I tip it upside down (catch the ball) and
> spray the Redmond out of it's guts with a can of air... The rodent usually
> works a little smoother afterwards.

I used to open the 'rodent' and scrub the dirt out with whatever tool
was needed or at hand for the job, then I bought mi first optic mouse
and was done with all that mess. Also, I'm saving money in the long run,
I only bought two optical mice in the last 7 years (because I kept
forgetting one in the office or at home while moving the laptop).

But it still doesn't help me keep the
> pointer in between the lines... Though to tell the truth I may have
> exaggerated (slightly) as at times I can make it work a little easier.
> but if I spend much time with it, my hands start to go numb, and once
> that happens it's a hopeless cause. Funny that, I can keypunch for hours
> without such problems, But it only takes a few minutes trying to control
> the mouse... <sigh>

I had the same problem when I first started using a computer. Over time
I learned that the problem in my case was that I needed to keep the
whole forearm on the table, so that the hand does not have to push on
the mouse with the weight of the whole arm. Might be worth a try? (I
escaped carpal tunnel syndrome as well that way :)).

HTH,
I.