Can't seam to assign alt+F1 to pop up the kmenu???? [Kubuntu Intrepid alpha 6]

Tycho Andersen tycho at tycho.ws
Wed Sep 24 22:16:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:

> Well first off thanks for the instruction on how to get rid of annoying
> desktop things I don't want to look at... This lock/unlock feature is
> going to have a hard time growing on me unless there is a keyboard only
> method of doing it... As I mentioned in my reply to Willy, I have
> difficulty with the mouse, hence I have little use for icons, things
> that only appear while the mouse is hovering in the right spot and
> especially "small" click targets.

Unless you reconfigure everything a lot, I don't think it will be a
problem. I didn't like it either at first, but after my initial
configuration it's not been an issue at all.

> If/when I HAVE to convert to this kde4, I think I'm going to have to
> reassign <alt>+<F2> to the konsole and waste one of those every time I
> want a run prompt... At least I'd have bash's command history, and I
> suspect it will be a very long time before konsole starts waving all
> those distracting icons at me as I try to type a command.

You might be a great candidate for Yakuake. I'm guessing you've
probably never played the Quake series of videogames, but suffice it
to say that this awesome innovation was derived from there. Yakuake is
a simple app that wraps konsole in a dropdown window. You can bind it
to a global hotkey (in my case the tilda key, the default is F12) and
it will bring down a terminal immediately without startup delays,
because it loads konsole into your main memory when you start KDE. If
you've heard of it and didn't like it, you can ignore this; however I
found it to be a really useful piece of software once I tried it. It's
even available in the repos (it's a KDE 3.5 version for Hardy right
now, though a 4.1 version has been released).

I use Yakuake for most quick terminal work, but I'll start a real
Konsole whenever I need the terminal for an extended period of time.
Since I've been having my own issues with the ALT+F2 menu, I've been
using Yakuake more and more to launch programs (appending an & onto
the end of the command makes it run in the background: firefox &).

> It is possible that I'll risk using hardy for years after it's
> officially unsupported rather than go with kde4... That said, I'll
> play with intrepid a bit. Though I don't think I'll want try to get
> any work done with it...

Like anything else, it probably just takes some getting used to. Good luck!

Tycho