wireless network connections on Kubuntu 8.04.1

Robert Costa zabbarob at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 13 10:51:27 UTC 2008

Hi Lisi,

can you post the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file and
maybe the output of the lspci command and lsmod, just in case no
drivers are running the WiFi card. hmm.. if it's a driver problem you
could also try out installing ndiswrapper and using the manufacturers
drivers, but of cause that's not an option if you want to stay on
linux native drivers :-)...

Cya,
Robert.

2008/9/13 Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz at gmail.com>:
> I have a MSI 802.11g PCMCIA WiFi card with the Ralink RT2500 Chipset in a Dell
> Latitude p4 connecting - or failing to connect :-( - via a Netgear DG834G v4
> wireless ADSL modem router.
>
> When I first installed Hardy, the wireless card was recognised and both green
> lights were on, but it could only connect with static IP.  After numerous
> attempts over several days, in desperation I tried manually
> editing /etc/network/interfaces.  Still no joy.  I tried a few different
> combinations, including finally deleting  /etc/network/interfaces and letting
> Kubuntu regenerate it.
>
> So I installed linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic.  One of the green lights
> went out and it would now not connect at all, even tho' network settings
> could still see it.
>
> So I uninstalled linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic (apt-get purge
> linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic, aptget autoremove).  Now the lights
> are both on, but there is no actual connection.
>
> I tried pinging the router.  All packets were dropped.  I pinged the laptop
> from the router and all packets reached their destination.  So I pinged the
> router from the laptop.  Nada.  So I again pinged the laptop from the router.
> This time nothing.  And that is still the situation.
>
> I also tried connecting the ethernet connection via DHCP.  It would work only
> if I told it the DNS to use - it could not get the information from the
> server.  Not much use for roving!!  But the wrieless card could not even get
> an IP from the router.
>
> Suggestions?  I'll try anything, short of throwing the whole lot through the
> window.  I have to get wireless DHCP going on this laptop. :-(
>
> TIA
> Lisi

Was man zu verstehen gelernt hat, das fürchtet man nicht mehr.