wireless network connections on Kubuntu 8.04.1

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 09:55:20 UTC 2008

I have a MSI 802.11g PCMCIA WiFi card with the Ralink RT2500 Chipset in a Dell
Latitude p4 connecting - or failing to connect :-( - via a Netgear DG834G v4
wireless ADSL modem router.

When I first installed Hardy, the wireless card was recognised and both green
lights were on, but it could only connect with static IP.  After numerous
attempts over several days, in desperation I tried manually
editing /etc/network/interfaces.  Still no joy.  I tried a few different
combinations, including finally deleting  /etc/network/interfaces and letting
Kubuntu regenerate it.

So I installed linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic.  One of the green lights
went out and it would now not connect at all, even tho' network settings
could still see it.

So I uninstalled linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic (apt-get purge
linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic, aptget autoremove).  Now the lights
are both on, but there is no actual connection.

I tried pinging the router.  All packets were dropped.  I pinged the laptop
from the router and all packets reached their destination.  So I pinged the
router from the laptop.  Nada.  So I again pinged the laptop from the router.
This time nothing.  And that is still the situation.

I also tried connecting the ethernet connection via DHCP.  It would work only
if I told it the DNS to use - it could not get the information from the
server.  Not much use for roving!!  But the wrieless card could not even get
an IP from the router.

Suggestions?  I'll try anything, short of throwing the whole lot through the
window.  I have to get wireless DHCP going on this laptop. :-(

TIA
Lisi