Anyone tried Dell Mini

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Sep 8 22:13:22 UTC 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 3:34:02 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> Thanks perry need a laugh today thanks again

Here's a laugh.  The laptops come in 3 SSD sizes.  The largest size is only
available for Windows.  We buy a lot from Dell, and have our own account rep
and configurations.  We asked Dell if we could get Ubuntu on the largest
drive.

The initial answer was something like "Yes you are correct, there are only 3
drive sizes."

When we rephrased the request (in homage to the movie "Philadelphia", so a 4
year old could understand it) we were told that, "no, you can only get the
larger drive with XP preinstalled."

So, although we are a Dell shop, we are going to give it one last shot at
getting a bare drive with access to any proprietary drivers for the Ubuntu
install, and then install Ubuntu ourselves.  If that fails, we are going to
buy eeePCs instead.