Anyone tried Dell Mini

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 8 23:44:45 UTC 2008

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2008 3:34:02 pm Jonathan Jesse wrote:
>
>> Thanks perry need a laugh today thanks again
>>

> Here's a laugh.  The laptops come in 3 SSD sizes.  The largest size is only
> available for Windows.  We buy a lot from Dell, and have our own account rep
> and configurations.  We asked Dell if we could get Ubuntu on the largest
> drive.
>
> The initial answer was something like "Yes you are correct, there are only 3
> drive sizes."
>
> When we rephrased the request (in homage to the movie "Philadelphia", so a 4
> year old could understand it) we were told that, "no, you can only get the
> larger drive with XP preinstalled."
>
> So, although we are a Dell shop, we are going to give it one last shot at
> getting a bare drive with access to any proprietary drivers for the Ubuntu
> install, and then install Ubuntu ourselves.  If that fails, we are going to
> buy eeePCs instead.

This is example of what I was saying earlier about the larger hard drive
for Windows .
I don't know what Dell has in mind about this , but is it the reason I
won't buy a Dell Inspiron 9.
If you get the eeePc, as far as the wireless card and webcam, you want
to use the kernel-2.6.27-0.312 in Fedora 10.
I'm using that kernel in FC9, on a eeePC 702