Dummkopf's guide to vim

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 4 08:46:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:17:54AM +0200, Knapp wrote:
> > $ which nano
> > /usr/bin/nano
> >
> > Now, this is far from a new install, but I certain did not add that
> > myself. So either something pulled nano is as a dependency (doubtful),
> > or it comes installed in 8.04
> >
> > By the way, Ubuntu does not come with VIM on a standard install
> > either. You are using VIM-tiny, which is missing quite a few features,
> > such as vimtutor:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vim/+bug/225231
> >
> > --
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> $ which vim
> /usr/bin/vim
>
> How can you tell if it is vim-tiny?

When commands are replaced by something that purports to do the same thing
it's invariably done via symbolic links, e.g. you will find vi on pretty well
every Linux distribution somehow points to a variant of vim.

Anyway, that was how I first discovered that vim on my system was actually
vim-tiny ... until I apt-get-ed (apt-got?) other bits of vim, e.g. do something
like this sequence:

$ which vim
/usr/bin/vim
$ ls -l /usr/bin/vim
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2008-05-09 22:27 /usr/bin/vim -> /etc/alternatives/vim*
$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/vim
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2008-06-19 17:19 /etc/alternatives/vim -> /usr/bin/vim.basic*

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble