Dummkopf's guide to vim

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:53:39 UTC 2008

Knapp wrote:
>> I may look at that, but there is a GSoC project with KDE SVN access
>> that is making a VIM mode for Kate. The only problem is that he
>> recoded the VIM parts himself, instead of embedding actually VIM.
>> Therefore I doubt the project's maintainability.
>> --
>> Dotan Cohen
>
> I really started this tread because a lot of the ubuntu help out there
> says, "use VIM", to edit such and such. As a newbie I would type vim
> filename and then not have a clue how to get back out or save what I
> did. The first message of this tread should save people from that. It
> is also a good editor when X is out the window or you want to do
> something fast.

you're right, they always point to vim, and the first time i used vim, i
didn't know how to close it! X wasn't running, and i started vim to edit
xorg.conf, had no clue how to work, or how to quit, i switched to the
second tty, and started working there :P
i searched for a text editor using apropos, and came across nano.
but it's a gap in everybody's computer literacy to not know how to use vim.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems